Halloween Bingo Challenge: We Have Always Lived in the Castle

We Have Always Lived in the Castle - Shirley Jackson

When I first heard of Shirley Jackson, I quite honestly didn't know what to expect from her stories and her writing. But what I got from her writing really surprised the heck out of me, and I really cannot wait to read more of her writing and devour each and every word.

We Have Always Lived in the Castle is supposedly her last very bizzare, very scary, very dark, very disturbing, and very twisted story narrated in the first-person by a young girl named Mary Katherine Blackwood, nicknamed Merricat, that's a little bit too short, but worthy enough of your time if you're into scary stories and are searching for a book to read to your younger siblings or to your children by the candlelight.

Mary Katherine Blackwood, nicknamed Merricat, who's really the only contact to the outside world, tells us the story of her family or its remaining members who live in a large house on a large field away from the village and its annoying villagers, that's really messed up and will make your skin crawl once you shall read it, her older sister Constance who's as creepy as the female characters can go, because of what she had supposedly done in the past, and of course their very lovable and very likable uncle Julian who needs to be taken good care of and probably checked by a psychiatrist, since he's somewhat obsessed with writing on his memoirs, and thanks to his obsession with writing we get to learn all the nasty details of what really happened to the rest of the Blackwood family. So,Yay Merricat, Yay Constance, and Yay Uncle Julian!

Anyway, if you're searching for a good trick or treat book for your younger siblings or your children that could scare the bejeezus out of them, search no more because you've probably found it. I sure as hell did, and it's going to take some really long time to get over the ending. ;)