Halloween Bingo Challenge: The Haunting of Hill House.

The Haunting of Hill House - Shirley Jackson, Laura Miller

When I first heard of Shirley Jackson from one of the Booklikes bloggers and later from one of my friends who's read one of her master works, I must say that I had no idea what to expect from her writing.

But then I read one of her last works "We Have Always Lived in the Castle" as a part of Halloween Bingo Challenge and ended up being pleasantly surprised by her writing.

But not as pleasantly surprised as I was when I started reading The Haunting of Hill House. It's one of those horrifying and terrifying stories that can really keep you up all night and stare all over the bedroom. So I wouldn't recommend you guys to read it during the night,because you might as well yell "Bring it!" at the radiator as it makes some loud

noise and while at it cover yourself with some blankets. ;)

Anyway, the story itself revolves around the Hill House and four more or less interesting and annoying characters that you either grow to hate or love as you go throughout the book. It is not a typical ghost story. It's a true classic as far as the ghost stories are concerned and it offers some truly scary and suspenseful moments that make a reader wonder what the heck is going on with the house and its somewhat annoying guests and inhabitants.

So feel free to jump right into it, get yourself scared by the Hill House and its inhabitants and I promise you that you won't regret it.If anything you'll praise the author's style of writing and want more of it, even though there's no more. I know that I wanted more.That said I wasn't THAT surprised by the ending.